- Departments & Offices I - Z
- Public Information Office
- Filming in Athens-Clarke County
Filming in Athens-Clarke County
Athens-Clarke County is designated as a Camera Ready community by the Georgia Music, Film & Digital Entertainment Office, part of the Georgia Department of Economic Development.
The Athens-Clarke County Public Information Office (706-613-3795) serves as the official film liaison and works with many local and state partners.
List Your Property as a Film Location
If you would like your Georgia home, business, or property considered for filming, visit the state location submission webpage. They will review your photos and, if approved, your property will be added to their online locations database, which is publicly viewable on GA Reel Scout.
Film Project Information Form
Individuals or companies looking to film in Athens-Clarke County should first fill out an online Film Project Information Form. This will allow the Camera Ready liaison to assess requirements specific to your film.
Regulations for Filming
Generally speaking, filming for commercial or non-commercial purposes in public spaces or private property currently does not require permitting unless:
- It requires sidewalk, street or lane closures.
- Athens-Clarke County-managed roads: Lane/Street/Sidewalk Closure Form + Right-of-Way Encroachment Permit
- Georgia Department of Transportation-managed roads (e.g. state routes): Movie & TV Production permit information
- It occurs in park locations.
- Leisure Services Film Agreement is needed. Contact Cathy Padgee at the Leisure Services Department at 706-613-3800 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions after viewing the form.
- It requires use of a local government facility such as City Hall or another facility (Facility Use Application)
Filming with Drones / Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Contact the Public Information Office for information related to filming with drones.
Filming on The University of Georgia Campus
Filming on The University of Georgia campus requires formal, written permission from the University. For more information, see their External Commercial & Documentary Filming/Photography on Campus policy.
Athens-Clarke County Camera Ready Liaison
Athens-Clarke County Public Information Office
706-613-3795 / email@example.com