Four Drop Boxes for Absentee Ballots
Updated July 9, 2020
In accordance with Georgia Election Code Rule 183-1-14-0.6-.14, the Board of Elections has installed secure drop boxes for absentee ballots. They are located at:
- Athens-Clarke County Elections Office - 155 E Washington Street, Athens, GA 30601
- Athens-Clarke County Library - 2025 Baxter Street; Athens, GA 30601
- Athens-Clarke County Multimodal Transportation Center - 775 E Broad Street, Athens, GA 30601
- Fire Station #7 - 2350 Barnett Shoals Road, Athens, GA 30605 [added June 1]
- ACC Extension - 275 Cleveland Road, Bogart, GA 30622 [added July 7]
The ballot boxes:
- Close at 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
- Are monitored by video recording devices
- Have ballots collected from them at least once every 24 hours in teams of two people who have sworn an oath in the same form as poll officers
- Are immediately transported and processed and stored in the same manner as absentee ballots returned by mail.
Applying for Mail Absentee Ballots
No reason is required when requesting an absentee ballot. Your absentee ballot application must:
- be in writing
- contain the address to which the ballot is to be mailed,
- contain sufficient information to identify you as a voter
- contain the election in which you wish to vote
If you are physically disabled or living temporarily outside your county of residence, a close relative may apply for an absentee ballot for you.
Deadlines for August 11 General Primary Runoff Election
- Friday, August 7 - Last day that the Board of Elections can mail ballots.
- Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - Absentee ballots must be received by the Athens-Clarke County Board of Elections office by election day by 7:00 p.m. in order to be counted.
- No absentee ballots are issued after the Friday before Election Day.
- No marked absentee ballots can be accepted at the polling locations on Election Day.
Submitting Your Application
Download an absentee voter application and submit it in one of three ways:
Athens-Clarke County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 1828
Athens, GA 30603
By email as an attachment:
To find out if the Board of Elections has received your application for an Absentee Ballot, when your ballot was mailed, or if your voted ballot has been returned, view the My Voter Page at www.mvp.sos.ga.gov
Please remember when requesting a ballot by mail the following: "Except in the case of physically disabled electors residing in the county or municipality, no absentee ballot shall be mailed to an address other than the permanent mailing address of the elector as recorded on the elector’s voter registration record or a temporary out-of-county or out-of-municipality address." Section 21-2-381(a)(1)(D)