Citizens Government Academy
About the Citizens Government Academy
Join the Mayor, Manager, and staff for a learning and networking opportunity. The Athens-Clarke County Unified Government (ACCGov) is offering a weekly class for residents to learn about local government through first-hand exposure to the wide range of government functions, services, activities, and issues.
The Citizens Government Academy is designed to:
- Give residents an opportunity to learn how to access their government
- familiarize residents with government services, functions and activities of Athens-Clarke County
- Help residents gain a better understanding about how to become involved in local government
- Enhance their ability to communicate effectively with local officials.
The Citizens Government Academy seeks to provide participants with an in-depth overview of a number of local government services, functions, and activities centered around the Mayor and Commission’s six strategic commitments to the residents of Athens-Clarke County:
- Informed and Engaged Community
- Shared Prosperity
- Healthy, Livable, and Sustainable Athens-Clarke County
- Transportation, Mobility, and Connectivity
- Safe and Prepared Community
- Accountable and Responsive Government
- Participants must be Athens-Clarke County residents, age 18+
- Class size is limited to 25 participants on a first come, first serve basis.
- Each class will be conducted by a department representative and will provide both an informational and interactive learning approach.
Participants will gain a better understanding of
- The relationships between residents, the Mayor & Commission, and governmental departments
- The process for deciding why and how government projects are implemented and services are provided
- The ways government projects support Mayor & Commission goals and objectives as well as the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government’s strategic commitments.
- The budgeting process
- Roles and functions of public safety departments
- Environmental stewardship measures
- Additional responsibilities and functions of the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government