Project 14: Lexington Hwy. Corridor Improvements
The Lexington Highway Corridor Improvement Project is seeking to provide infrastructure improvements to help improve traffic flow, pedestrian access, and bicycle facilities between Johnson Road (east of the Athens Loop) and Southeast Clarke Park. (Note: There is also a similar project for Atlanta Highway).
- Video: Watch presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on May 26, 2020
- PowerPoint presentation (PDF)
- Potential Project List (PDF)
- Video: Watch corridor study presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on July 9, 2019
- Video: Watch adoption of corridor study at the Mayor & Commission Regular Session on August 6, 2019.
- The full Atlanta Highway & Lexington Road Corridor Plan can be found at “Connect Athens”
- The full Bike/Pedestrian Master Plan can be found at “Athens in Motion”
- The full Report by the Urban Land Institute for the Strategy to Redevelop and Revitalize the Lexington Road Corridor can be found at “ULI – Lexington Road ”
From May 28, 2020 to June 28, 2020, ACCGov received online public input. On July 7, 2020, M&C approved the proposed project list, authorized the Project list for prioritization into the Project Concept Phase, and authorized the implementation of the “Immediate Impact Project” of airport wayfinding signage.
Project Concept materials for each of the proposed projects on the list is being developed for presentation to M&C at the January 12, 2021 work session and immediately followed by additional public input. The public input will be taken to help the User Group develop a draft and ultimately to assist M&C decide on the priority order for the various projects that are on the list. Traffic engineering completed installation of 19 airport way finding signs to better direct customers of Athens Ben Epps Airport providing drivers the most direct routes to the airport entrance. The Airport and Traffic Engineering collaborated to develop appropriate locations to best serve the Athens Ben Epps Airport and surrounding community. The way finding signage not only serves to help customers find the airport in the most direct route, it helps reduce confused or lost drivers on the surrounding roadway systems.
*as of 1/7/2021
|TSPLOST 2018 Budget||
|Estimated Annual Operating Impact||