Project 15: Atlanta Highway Corridor Improvements
The Atlanta Highway Corridor Improvement Project seeks to provide infrastructure improvements to help improve traffic flow, pedestrian access, and bicycle facilities between Monroe Highway and the Middle Oconee River. (Note: There is also a similar project for Lexington Highway).
Mayor & Commission will consider for approval the Atlanta Highway User Group Priority Project Concepts during their regularly scheduled meeting on September 7.
- Video: Watch presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on August 12, 2021
- Video: Watch Public Engagement Video
- Video: Watch presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on May 26, 2020
- PowerPoint presentation (PDF)
- Potential Project List (PDF)
- Video: Watch corridor study presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on July 9, 2019
- Video: Watch adoption of corridor study at the Mayor & Commission Regular Session on August 6, 2019.
- The full Atlanta Highway & Lexington Road Corridor Plan can be found at “Connect Athens”
- The full Bike/Pedestrian Master Plan can be found at “Athens in Motion”
- The full Report by the Urban Land Institute for the Strategy to Redevelop and Revitalize the Atlanta Highway Corridor can be found at “ULI – Atlanta Highway ”
February – April 18, 2021
In order to help identify the community’s greatest needs for transportation improvements in this corridor, several in-person events were held. Use the links below to find out more about the project and obtain results from the Public Engagement process.
- Online storymap
- Atlanta Highway Public Engagement Survey Results
- Atlanta Highway Public Engagement Summary Report
Several In-Person Events and Drop-in Events were Held
- Sat., March 13 - Athens Farmers Market at Bishop Park (8:00 AM - Noon) - Pop-up booth
- Sat., March 13 - Lowe's at 3341 Lexington Highway (9:00 AM - Noon) - Pop-up booth
- Sat., March 20 - Cofer's Home & Garden Showplace - 1145 Mitchell Bridge Road (9:00 AM - Noon) - Pop-up booth
- Sat., March 20 - Downtown - College Square Plaza (Noon - 2:00 PM) - Pop-up booth
- Mon., March 22 - Athens-Ben Epps Airport - 1010 Ben Epps Drive (6:00-8:00 PM) - Drop-in open house
- Wed., March 24 - ACC Extension Office - 275 Cleveland Road (6:00-8:00 PM) - Drop-in open house [Traductores de español disponibles]
- Thurs., March 25 - ACC Extension Office - 275 Cleveland Road (6:00-8:00 PM) - Drop-in open house
- Sat., March 27 - Athens-Ben Epps Airport - 1010 Ben Epps Drive (10:00 AM - Noon) - Drop-in open house [Traductores de español disponibles]
Immediate Impact Projects
Traffic Engineering completed installation of an advance warning sign to better warn drivers that outer westbound lane ends prior to reaching Georgia Square Mall Drive.
Landscape Management has submitted Landscape Improvements plans for approval with the Georgia Department of Transportation to enhance the median area on US Hwy 78 and Monroe Hwy intersection (location #1).
Locations 2-3 are postponed to better coordinate with future Georgia Department of Transportation construction activities at the Atlanta Highway and Athens Loop interchange project.
|TSPLOST 2018 Budget||
|Estimated Annual Operating Impact||