Court-Appointed Community Service
The Athens-Clarke County Animal Services Shelter welcomes court-appointed community service workers from the Athens-Clarke County Probation Office. Community Service Worker opportunities are on SUNDAYS ONLY.
Work begins promptly at 8:00 AM. Please arrive at the shelter by 7:50 AM. Any worker arriving late will be dismissed and is not eligible for service that day.
Anyone wishing to participate at the Animal Services Shelter as a Community Service worker should have their Probation Officer send their paperwork to the Animal Shelter. Please call the Friday before the Sunday of work to ensure the shelter has your paperwork and is ready to host you.
Community Service Workers typically work from 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM but may stay later if there are additional tasks. Work consists of cleaning dog kennels and cleaning the shelter building.
Community Service Worker Rules
- You must report before or at 8:00 AM. If you arrive late you will not be allowed to work and you will be asked to leave.
- Sign in and out on the volunteer log while you are here.
- You must wear the provided yellow vest at all times.
- If you are seen playing on your phone or not working you will be asked to leave and your clocked time will stop at that point.
- If there is a dog fight or a dog running loose in the compound that you or someone else does not catch quickly inform a staff member immediately.
- If you want to take a smoke break, you can take your vest off and go near the road to do so. Throw your butts in the trashcan when you are done. This time will not count as time worked.
- You should not be in the back office, the superintendent’s office, or behind the front desk without a staff member present.
- Use manners, be polite, and no arguing. If you have a question, ask without attitude.
- Your time sheet will be sent back after thirty days of no registered work. If you would like a copy before you leave, please ask at the front desk.