Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 at Mass Gatherings & Responding to Potential Exposures
In response to recent demonstrations and gatherings by members of the public, the Northeast Health District is issuing guidance on reducing the risk of COVID-19 transmission during mass gatherings and on how to respond to a potential exposure while in attendance.
Steps that you can take to reduce the spread of COVID-19 during gatherings include:
- Wear a cloth face covering that covers both your mouth and nose. Cloth face coverings can help to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Leave the covering on when speaking.
- Keep at least six feet of distance between yourself and other people, if at all possible.
- Wash hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer frequently.
If you suspect you may have been exposed to COVID-19, you should limit contact with others, monitor yourself for symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath, new loss of taste or smell, headache, chills, sore throat, muscle pain), and wear a cloth face covering while in public or interacting with others.
You may also wish to be tested for COVID-19. You do not need to have symptoms
in order to be tested, and there are several ways to get tested:
- You can call the Northeast Health District’s hotline to schedule a free test: 706-340-0996. The hotline is answered 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
- If you do not have transportation or have other barriers to care, you can call the Athens Free Clinic mobile unit Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.: 706-308-4092.
- If you have a primary care provider, you can call your doctor, who can either perform the test or refer you for testing.
- You can call a local urgent care center or federally qualified health center.
For local coronavirus information, visit www.accgov.com/coronavirus or publichealthathens.com/wp/programs/infectious-disease/coronavirus-covid-19-information.
For more detailed guidance on planning mass gatherings, visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html.
To locate a DPH testing site, visit dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-testingdirect-patient-lines. To locate a federally qualified healthcare center, visit findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov.