Before jumping to the rescue, please considering the following recommendations:
- Quietly observe from a safe distance to determine if the mother is present.
- If the kittens are clean and sleeping in a heap, mom is most likely out looking for something to eat and will be back to care for them.
- If you sense the kittens are in immediate danger, move them to a safe area nearby where the mother can still find them.
- Place them in a sheltered area, away from the direct sun, rain or traffic and continue to watch for the mother.
- If you have observed the kittens for 24 hours and the mother has not returned, then pick them up, and care for them.
Be aware that sometimes, no matter what you do, some neonatal kittens do not survive and can fade very fast. You can only try to be the best surrogate guardian possible and hope for the best.