What about installing Children at Play signs?

Athens-Clarke County does not install these signs. Nationwide studies have shown no evidence that these signs help reduce the number of pedestrian accidents or lower travel speeds. Furthermore, Federal standards do not support these signs because the signs are suggesting that it is acceptable behavior for children to play in the streets. The Federal Highway Administration has revised the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices to no longer include "Children at Play" signs which makes installation of such signs a violation of 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 655, Subpart F.

Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a traffic signal installed?
2. Will a traffic signal reduce crashes at our intersection?
3. How do I get a stop sign installed? (Includes additional signs at existing 2-way stops)
4. Why do I have to wait so long at a traffic signal?
5. So how does Athens-Clarke County time its traffic signals?
6. How do I report a missing or damaged street sign?
7. How can I get my curb painted yellow?
8. What about installing Children at Play signs?
9. Wouldn't additional speed limit signs help to slow traffic?
10. Who maintains traffic signals in Athens Clarke County?
11. Who maintains Flashing School Zone Lights?
12. How do signals for pedestrians work?
13. Is it possible for two conflicting directions of traffic at a signalized intersection to receive green lights at the same time?
14. What happens to Athens Clarke County traffic signals when they lose power?
15. Why does a traffic signal change for no reason when vehicles are not present?
16. What are the cameras at traffic signals for?
17. How much does a traffic signal cost?
18. How do I report a damaged or malfunctioning traffic signal?