The budget for July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2023 has been submitted to the Commission for review. It proposes a millage rate of 13.20 for property tax year 2022, a 0.50 mill decrease compared to last year’s rate. Read on...
FY23 Mayor Recommended Budget
- FY23 Mayor Recommended Budget (PDF, 8.7mb) )
- Responses to Commission FY23 Recommended Budget questions as of 05-12-2022 (PDF, 4.3mb)
The FY23 Mayor Recommended Budget was released on April 29, 2022. The Athens-Clarke County Commission is scheduled to review the FY23 Recommended Budget on the following dates:
- May 10, 2022 (Tuesday) 5:30 PM - Budget review following work session items - City Hall
- May 12, 2022 (Thursday) 5:30 PM - Taxpayer Bill of Rights Public Hearing #1 and budget review - 120 West Dougherty Street
- May 17, 2022 (Tuesday) 6:00 PM - Taxpayer Bill of Rights Public Hearing #2, FY23 Budget Public Hearing, and Agenda Setting Session - City Hall, 301 College Avenue
- May 19, 2022 (Thursday) 5:30 PM - Budget review - 120 West Dougherty Street
- May 24, 2022 (Tuesday) 5:30 PM (if needed) - Budget review - 120 West Dougherty Street
- June 7, 2022 (Tuesday) 6:00 PM - Taxpayer Bill of Rights Public Hearing #3 and scheduled FY23 Budget adoption - City Hall, 301 College Avenue
See www.accgov.com/agendas for individual agendas for the meetings once posted.
Taxpayer Bill of Rights Public Hearings with public comment opportunities
- Tuesday, May 12, 2022 at 5:30 PM (#1) - 120 West Dougherty Street
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 6:00 PM (#2) - City Hall, 301 College Avenue
- Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 6:00 PM (#3) - City Hall, 301 College Avenue
The Athens-Clarke County Commission is scheduled to adopt the FY23 Budget at their regular meeting on Tuesday, June 7, 2022. See meeting agendas at www.accgov.com/agendas for details on public comment opportunities for this and other meetings. The agenda for the June 7, 2022 meeting should be posted by the end of the day on Friday, June 3.
All meetings noted above held at City Hall will be broadcast live on ACTV Cable Channel 180 and live-streamed and available on-demand on YouTube (www.youtube.com/accgov), www.accgov.com/videos, and Facebook (www.facebook.com/accgov).
FY22 Approved Budget: On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, the Mayor and Commission approved the budget for the fiscal year 2022 (July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022)
The annual operating and capital budget is the financial plan for raising revenues and expending funds for all Athens-Clarke County departments, offices, and constitutional officials. The budget year begins on July 1. In advance of the beginning of the fiscal year, departments and constitutional officials submit operating and capital budget requests for review by the Manager and the Mayor. The Mayor submits a recommended budget to the Commission for review no later than April 30 each year. The Commission reviews the Mayor’s Recommended Budget and can make any adjustments necessary prior to adopting the budget in June.
The Annual Budget and Budget in Brief can be viewed online or at the Clerk of Commission’s Office, Room 204 of City Hall, or at the Athens Regional Library on Baxter Street.
Budgets for previous years can be found in the Financial Reports section.
Each year, the Budget Division also prepares a report comparing property taxes for Athens-Clarke County, contiguous counties, and counties of similar size.