A government recycling program demonstrates environmental concern, personal responsibility, community action and responsible solid waste management practices. Government recycling programs not only impact waste produced by government offices but sets an example for the surrounding community. In FY08, Mayor and Commission passed a recycling policy requiring all ACC buildings and facilities to recycle (Policy SW- 021).
Requirements under Policy SW-021
- Individual departments are responsible for providing recycling to the staff, customers, and visitors to their facilities.
- Individual departments are offered the opportunity to compost within the department.
- Each department with large outdoor facilities must provide adequate outdoor recycling containers for the general public.
- Each department will have a representative from each facility as the point of contact (Material Management Coordinator) with the Solid Waste Department. The Material Management Coordinator's responsibilities include the following:
- Attendance at quarterly material management coordinator meeting.
- Education and promotion of programs and/or procedure changes.
- Coordination of special events hosted by the Solid Waste Department.
- Compilation of recycling data as necessary.
- Miscellaneous troubleshooting.
- Information regarding the SW-004 Targeted Material List, Hard to Recycle Materials and Compostable Materials shall be included in Athens-Clarke County Unified Government's new employee orientations as provided by the Solid Waste Department.