Does the Public Utilities Department provide other utility services?

The Public Utilities Department (PUD) specializes in providing excellent water and sewer services for Athens-Clarke County (ACC).  We do not offer any other services.  

The Exception

Trash Service:  

  • ACC's Solid Waste Department provides garbage and recycling services to residential customers in the Urban Service District (USD), which encompasses the former city limits of Athens.  For questions about service locations, roll carts, pick-up schedules, trash bags, recycling, or leaf and limb, contact the Solid Waste's Billing Office at (706) 613-3501 ext 7884. 
    If within this area, the PUD can assist customers with establishing trash service while starting water and sewer service.  Charges for Solid Waste collection are included on the water and sewer bill.  
  • Private Haulers:  ACC's Solid Waste Dept. maintains a list of private haulers that operate in the community for those living outside of ACC's Solid Waste collection area.  Private haulers must offer recycling services to both residential and commercial customers.

Looking to get started with additional utilities?  

Please use the following contact information for questions or to assist you in establishing your other utilities.  Because we only handle water and sewer, our PUD customer service representatives do not have access to information regarding which of these utilities serves your address.   

Stormwater Utility:  

  • Stormwater Management:  The stormwater runoff from your property must be managed to prevent flooding further downstream and on roadways.  The amount of impervious surface on a property is the primary basis for the stormwater utility fee, and the funds are used for stormwater management in the county.  No action is required to start this utility.  If you have a question about this service or how to pay your bill, call 706-613-3989 to reach Stormwater Management, a division of Transportation and Public Works. 

Power/Electricity:  The following are local power providers.  Contact these providers to determine which one offers service for your location.  

Georgia Power
1001 Prince Ave
Athens, GA 30606

Jackson EMC
85 Spratlin Mill Rd
Hull, GA 30646

Walton EMC
2061 Hog Mountain Rd
Watkinsville, GA 30677

Natural Gas:  The following company can assist in matching you with your natural gas provider.  If you use natural gas at your home, we recommend keeping your natural gas company number handy in case you should ever smell gas at your home.  Our PUD crews cannot respond to or repair gas leaks. 

Atlanta Gas Light
10 Peachtree Pl NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Show All Answers

1. What services does the Public Utilities Department provide?
2. How do I start/transfer water and sewer services?
3. Does the Public Utilities Department provide other utility services?