Helpful Links for Genealogical Research
- Athens-Clarke County Public Library: Information about the Heritage Room, genealogy resources, and links to other genealogy websites.
2025 Baxter St.
Athens, GA 30606
- Georgia Genealogical Society: Includes Georgia-specific links (genealogy societies, libraries, reference topics, etc.) and links to general sites
- Clarke-Oconee Genealogical Society: Genealogy information for Clarke County and Oconee County, including links to online resources specific to Athens-Clarke County; contact the society at:
P.O. Box 6403
Athens, GA 30604
- Ancestry: A fee-based website, but allows free trial use. Searchable by name and historical records. Includes several links to local resources like census records, military records, reference / finding aids, etc.
- Costume History from Costumer’s Manifesto: Website devoted to information on clothing styles. The costume history on this page is organized by period. Includes links to other pages with information on historical clothing styles.
- Records Finding Aid (Athens-Clarke County): Database of the records of Probate Court and its predecessors from 1799 to 1998. Probate Court was formerly called the Court of Ordinary, and before that, Inferior Court. The finding aid offers various means of accessing this information: by name, by date, and by category of record. It also contains a glossary and an explanation of the type of information to be found in each record category.