Starting Water Service
Welcome! We look forward to providing you with the water delivery and collection service we depend on for our health, economy, and fire safety.
To start water service, you will need the following:
A copy of a valid government-issued photo ID
A copy of the first and last page of a signed lease*
*This requirement applies only to renters. If you do not rent, you will only need a copy of a government-issued ID to start service.
About starting service:
- Service may be started online, in person, or by mail.
- There is a $50 Security deposit and a $10 service fee to start new residential water/sewer service. This amount will appear on your first bill.
A deposit for trash service based on your household size will also be added if your service address is within a covered service area. You will be contacted by a representative from ACC Solid Waste for your roll cart size if you are in a covered service area.
- The Water Business Office accepts personal checks (paid to ACC WBO), credit/debit cards, or money orders (paid to ACC WBO) for deposits.
- Same-day service is only available by visiting the Water Business Office in person Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM. There is an additional $25 convenience charge for same-day service.
- We connect service Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, and can schedule up to 14 days in advance. Please allow up to 2 business days to complete.
- We do not connect on standard holidays, weekends, or after regular business hours. We can schedule connections by calendar date only. Because our technicians' routes are determined each morning based on the previous day's orders, we cannot set hourly schedules.
- You must provide a copy of a valid government photo ID* to process your request.
- If renting the property, you must include a copy of the first and last page of the signed lease.
Starting Trash Service (applies only to residents living within the Urban Service District)
ACC's Solid Waste Department provides garbage and recycling services to residential customers in the Urban Service District, which encompasses the former city limits of Athens. If in this area, you are required to pay a deposit and a $10 service fee for trash collection.
For your convenience, you may start trash service through the Public Utilities Department. A deposit is required for all commercial accounts. A customer service representative will tell you the correct deposit amount for commercial deposits.
Save yourself a trip to our office or the post office by submitting an online request for new water service.
You will need to submit a copy of your photo ID and, if renting the property, a copy of the first and last page of the signed lease.
Start your service in-person Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
You will need to bring a copy of your photo ID, your deposit, and, if renting the property, a copy of the first and last page of the signed lease.
Bring these items to:
Water Business Office
124 E. Hancock Ave.
Athens, GA 30601
To start water and sewer service by mail, the following items to the Water Business Office:
ACC PUD Water Business Office
124 E. Hancock Ave.
Athens, GA 30601
*If a personal check or money order is not included with the service request, a Customer Service Representative will call to take payment over the phone after the service request is processed and approved
When will my service begin?
Once your request has been processed and approved, and the deposit is received, water service can be provided within 48-hours.
Your deposit will be applied to your final bill when you move or no longer need service with Athens-Clarke County. However, after 24 months, you may request in writing to have your deposit applied to your account if you have a good payment history.
We require proof of identity of each applicant and occupancy information sufficient to establish the identity of the Owner and the person authorized by the Owner to consume water service at the service address. The Federal Trade Commission requires water utilities to comply with the Federal Identity Theft Red Flag Rule.