Additional Requirements

Requirements for Your Garbage Receptacles
Garbage decals (stickers) are required on all trash cans (except for roll-carts distributed by the Athens-Clarke County Solid Waste Department) and are color coded to indicate your service level. Overflow decals are required on all trash bags outside of the trash can. Overflow decals can be purchased at the Solid Waste Department office (725 Hancock Industrial Way) or at the water business office (124 E. Hancock Avenue) for $2 each. Garbage left outside of the can will not be collected unless it is bagged and tagged with an overflow decal.

Curbside trash cans and carts are only allowed to be on the curb from 6:00 p.m. the day before scheduled collection until 12:00 noon of the day following collection. Cans and carts must be out of public view at all other times (as per Solid Waste Ordinance, Section 5-2-14).

Items That Will Not Be Collected
Large, bulky items, such as furniture, carpets, sinks, appliances, and construction / renovation debris, will not be collected as part of your standard garbage collection service or with overflow decals. Call the Solid Waste Department at 706-613-3501 ext. 0 to arrange for a special pick-up. Fees for a special pick-up will be charged on a cost-of-service basis.

Grease Recycling
The Solid Waste Department/Recycling Division accepts five-gallon containers of old cooking grease from residents for proper disposal. Please bring the grease to the ACC CHaRM Facility (1005 College Ave) for disposal. There is no charge for this service. Need more grease recycling information or additional disposal locations - visit Grease Recycling.

Inclement Weather
Collection crews will pick up materials as normally scheduled unless the weather is too bad for vehicles to drive safely on the streets. If streets are unsafe for our crews then collection of your materials will occur on the following day. Contact the Athens-Clarke County Solid Waste Department for additional information at 706-613-3501 ext. 0.