Project 6: Timothy Road / Mitchell Bridge Road Corridor Improvements Project
This project will provide for capital improvements to the Timothy Road Corridor Improvements. Depending upon actual costs and funding availability, improvements may include, but are not limited to: additional sidewalks, multiuse trails, bike lanes, landscaped/concrete medians, intersection improvements, lighting and/or other safety improvements along the corridor and connecting streets.
This project is a continuation of work begun under the TSPLOST 2018 Project 15 Atlanta Highway Corridor Improvements Project. To the extent allowed by law, budgeted project funds may be used as matching funds for leveraging grant opportunities.
Additionally, to the extent allowed by law, other funding sources, including, but not limited to, grants, may be utilized to offset and/or reduce the project budget. Any unspent project funds that accrue as a result of the receipt of grants or other funding sources may be assigned to other approved TSPLOST projects.
Benesch has completed the Timothy Road and Mitchell Bridge Road preliminary plans to help tie in shared use paths to the Athens loop, park, and surrounding neighborhoods to increase our network of shared- paths.
On December 6, 2022, Mayor and Commission approved via CDO the Proposed Project Concept Timothy Road/Mitchell Bridge Corridor and designated them Sub-Projects of the TSPLOST 2023 Program (Project #6).
The approved Commission Define Option (CDO) authorized staff to move the “Must Haves” (Tier 1) to the Preliminary Plan Phase of the Project Development Process
Must Haves (Tier 1)
- Develop a 10’ Shared-Use Path along the southern side of Timothy road between Skyline Parkway and Timothy Road/Loop 10 intersection with street crossings where appropriate.
- Develop a 10’ Share-Use Path along the northern side of Mitchell Bridge Road between Westchester Drive to Ben Burton Park where no facilities exists and extend across the Middle Oconee River Bridge to the Private Road west of the Middle Oconee River.
- Develop a 10’ Shared-Use Path along the southern side of Timothy road between Timothy Road/Loop 10 intersection and Rhodes Drive (Berkley Hills Subdivision) with street crossings where appropriate.
From December through August, 2023, survey and design efforts were completed.
On July 19, 2023, the User Group approved the Proposed Preliminary Plans for Mitchell Bridge Road Section.
On August 16, 2023, the User Group approved the Proposed Preliminary Plans for Timothy Road Sections 1 and 2.
On October 3, 2023, M&C accepted the 2022 Bridge Investment Program (BIP) Planning grant that included the Mitchell Bridge Road over the Middle Oconee River.
|TSPLOST 2023 Budget||
|Estimated Annual Operating Impact||
Project Proposal Documentation & Resource Materials
- 30 - Timothy Road Multi-Modal Transportation Corridor
- 30 - Timothy Road Multi-Modal Transportation Corridor Presentation
- 08 - Traffic Signal Replacement
- 08 - Traffic Signal Replacement Presentation
- 08A - Traffic Signal Replacement
- 30A - Timothy Road Multi-Modal Transportation Corridor
- Mitchell Bridge Shared Use Path_Preliminary Plans_2023-08-16
- Timothy Road Shared Use Path_Section I_Preliminary Plans_2023-08-16
- Timothy Road Shared Use Path_Section II_Preliminary Plans_2023-08-16