Project Description: This is a safety and operational improvement project at the intersection of Hawthorne Avenue and Oglethorpe Avenue. Improvements include:
- Replacing the existing span wire signals with new mast arm signals.
- Removing the concrete island located on the northwest quadrant and the "slip" right-turn lane. A dedicated right-turn lane will remain, but speeds through the intersection will be reduced by removal of the slip-lane.
- Reestablish high visibility crosswalks, ADA ramps and wider sidewalks at the intersection.
- Rebuild the intersection include flashing yellow arrow signal heads for the left turn movements and back plates on all signal heads to improve visibility.
- Permissive left turn prohibitions on movements with high crash experience during peak hour traffic.
- Restriping the pavement to improve sight distance for the northbound and southbound lanes.
- Restriping the pavement to include one receiving lane for northbound traffic and creating a short two-way left turn lane to accommodate midblock left turns into the YMCA and other driveways along Hawthorne Avenue north of Oglethorpe Avenue.
Project Goals and Objectives: Improve the Level of Service during peak traffic hours by reducing delays, reducing speeds through the intersection, upgrading the existing traffic signal system, and installing/replacing sidewalks within the project limits. Provide a safer intersection for all users.
Project Timeline / Schedule:
- Impacted Property Owners' Contact TBD
- Final Design & Right of Way Acquisition TBD
- Contract Award TBD
- Construction TBD
Funding Source: SPLOST 2011 Project #26 - Road & Bridge Improvements
Click Here to view the Preliminary Design Plans
To provide comments or ask questions about the design plans, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.