- Probate Court
- Weapons Carry License
Weapons Carry License
Notice Regarding New Legislation
This office cannot provide direction or guidance on the ramifications of the "Constitutional Carry" legislation which is now in effect other than to note that this legislation did not affect the issuance of Weapons Carry Licenses.
Process of Weapons Carry License Applications
Weapons Carry License applications are accepted Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. We will verify that your ID shows that you are a Clarke County resident. Application fee payment will need to be separate payments of $73.25 payable to Probate Court and $5.00 payable to ACC Sheriff’s Office. To ensure social distancing, no more than two people at a time are allowed in the waiting area.
WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE APPLICATIONS CAN BE COMPLETED BEFORE YOU COME IN. APPLICATIONS ARE ON OUR WEBSITE OR CAN BE MAILED TO YOU AT YOUR REQUEST.
Applying for a Weapons Carry License for the First Time
What You Will Need to Bring:
- Completed application packet. Download and print the application packet (PDF). If you are not able to print documents, call 762-400-6326 or email email@example.com to request that one be mailed to you. Fill out the application packet but do not sign the signature field on page 2 of the packet.
- Valid driver’s license or state-issued ID card showing a Clarke County address
- Cash, check or money order (no debit or credit cards) in the amount of $73.25. Checks and money orders must be addressed to Athens-Clarke County Probate Court for the license fee.
- Separate cash, check or money order (no debit or credit cards) in the amount of $5.00. Checks and money orders must be addressed to the Sheriff’s Office for fingerprinting.
- If you were born outside of the United States you will also need one of the following documents to support your application:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Birth Certificate for Applicant and/or Applicant’s Parent
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
Renewing an Existing Weapons Carry License (Clarke County Only)
- Renewal applications may be made by mail and are encouraged when possible.
- The exception to the renewal mail in process is that if you are applying for a renewal in Clarke County, but you originally received your license from another county you cannot apply by mail. You will need to walk-in (apply in the office).
To Renew a Weapons Carry License by Mail
- Download and print the application packet (PDF). If you are not able to print documents, call 762-400-6326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that one be mailed to you.
- Have your signature witnessed by a notary public in the space reserved on the form for a clerk’s signature if applying by mail.
- Place your completed and notarized application in an envelope with the following forms of payment:
- Cash, check or money order in the amount of $30.00. Checks and money orders must be addressed to Athens-Clarke County Probate Court for renewal fee
- Cash, check or money order in the amount of $5.00. Checks and money orders must be addressed to Clarke County Sheriff’s Office for local background check.
- Mail your application and forms of payment to:
Athens-Clarke County Probate Court
ATTN: Weapons Carry License Renewal
325 E. Washington St., Suite 200
Athens, GA 30601
- If you have a Weapons Carry License that expired on or before April 15, 2022, Governor Brian Kemp’s Executive Order allows a 120-day renewal period from the expiration date on the license. If your Weapons Carry License expires AFTER April 15, 2022, you only have 30 days to renew.
- All fees must be paid and the application must be processed at the time of applying. Acceptable payment is cash, check, or money order. WE DO NOT ACCEPT DEBIT OR CREDIT CARDS.
- All applications must have the FBI and the GBI criminal background check. The time it takes to receive the background checks from these agencies will vary. The average time is at least four to six weeks, but is dependent upon each applicant’s criminal history. A weapons carry license will not be issued until all background checks are received and reviewed by the judge.
- Licenses are valid for five years. You must surrender your old license at the time of application. We accept cash, money orders, or personal checks made payable to Probate Court as forms of payment.
- Renewal applications may be filed up to 90 days prior to the license expiration or within 30 days after the expiration date. (UPDATE: If your license expired between February 13, 2020 and April 15, 2022, you have 120 days after the expiration date on the face of the license to apply for a renewal license.)