Weapons Carry License
Applying for a Weapons Carry License for the First Time
What You Will Need to Bring:
- Completed application packet. Download and print the application packet (PDF). If you are not able to print documents, call 762-400-6326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that one be mailed to you. Fill out the application packet but do not sign the signature field on page 2 of the packet. You will complete the signature during your appointment.
- Valid driver’s license or state-issued ID card showing a Clarke County address
- Check or money order (no cards or cash) in the amount of $73.25 addressed to Athens-Clarke County Probate Court for license fee. Note that the license fee increased to $73.25 effective August, 2, 2020.
- Separate check or money order (no cards or cash) in the amount of $5.00 addressed to the Sheriff’s Office for fingerprinting
- If you were born outside of the United States you will also need one of the following documents to support your application:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Birth Certificate for Applicant and/or Applicant’s Parent
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
Renewing an Existing Weapons Carry License (Clarke County Only)
- Renewal applications must be made by mail, when possible.
- The exception to the renewal mail in process is that if you are applying for a renewal in Clarke County, but you originally received your license from another county you cannot apply by mail. You will need to walk-in (apply in the office) after August 2, 2021.
To Renew a Weapons Carry License
- Download and print the application packet (PDF). If you are not able to print documents, call 762-400-6326 or email email@example.com to request that one be mailed to you.
- Have your signature witnessed by a notary public in the space reserved on the form for a clerk’s signature.
- Place your completed and notarized application in an envelope with the following forms of payment:
- Check or money in the amount of $30.00 addressed to Athens-Clarke County Probate Court for renewal fee
- Check or money in the amount of $5.00 addressed to Clarke County Sheriff’s Office for local background check.
- Mail your application and forms of payment to:
Athens-Clarke County Probate Court
ATTN: Weapons Carry License Renewal
325 E. Washington St., Suite 200
Athens, GA 30601
- According to the Governor’s Executive Orders effective May 8, 2020 and June 30, 2021, if your license expired between FEBRUARY 13, 2020 and JULY 30, 2021, you have 120 days (not the statutory 30 days) after the expiration date on the face of the license to apply for a renewal license. The Executive Order declaring a State of Emergency for Continued Covid-19 Economic Recovery, which authorizes the extension of time to apply for a renewal license, shall terminate on July 30, 2021, unless it is renewed by the Governor.
- All fees must be paid and the application must be processed at the time of applying. Acceptable payment is cash, check, or money order. WE DO NOT ACCEPT DEBIT OR CREDIT CARDS.
- All applications must have the FBI and the GBI criminal background check. The time it takes to receive the background checks from these agencies will vary. The average time is at least four to six weeks, but is dependent upon each applicant’s criminal history. A weapons carry license will not be issued until all background checks are received and reviewed by the judge.
- Licenses are valid for five years. You must surrender your old license at the time of application. We accept cash, money orders, or personal checks made payable to Probate Court as forms of payment.
- Renewal applications may be filed up to 90 days prior to the license expiration or within 30 days after the expiration date. (UPDATE: If your license expired between February 13, 2020 and July 30, 2021, you have 120 days after the expiration date on the face of the license to apply for a renewal license.)