- Departments & Offices I - Z
- SPLOST 2005
- SPLOST 2005 Projects
- Project 10: Business Corridor Infrastructure
Project 10: Business Corridor Infrastructure Improvements
This project is intended to provide the replacement and upgrade of various infrastructure and streetscape projects within the Business Districts within Athens-Clarke County. This project(s) will provide improvements to various roadway, sidewalk drainage, and water systems in the downtown area and, to the extent that funds are available, other similar business districts. This continues a SPLOST 2000 program.
Key Project Statistics
- Designer: TY Lin International
- Project Manager: Derek Doster
- Sponsor: Transportation and Public Works
- Original SPLOST Budget: $8,391,955
- Total Cost: TBD
- Completion Date: TBD
Status: May 15, 2019
- The Project Concept was approved by the Mayor and Commission on April 7, 2009. The approved Project Concept included a four-step methodology to be utilized for identification and development of recommended priorities of locations for infrastructure improvements prior to initiating preliminary design.
- On April 6, 2010, the Mayor and Commission approved the central business district corridors for further evaluation completing Step one and Step two of the Concept methodology and authorized staff to proceed with Step three and Step four of the Concept methodology to determine priority recommendations for infrastructure improvements.
- On September 4, 2012 the Mayor and Commission approved the proposed Sub-Project B as the priority Sub-Project to include the segments along Clayton Street between Lumpkin Street and Thomas Street and the segments on Jackson Street between Washington Street and Broad. Preliminary Plans are now in progress.
- On February 7, 2013 a Public Information meeting was held for the general public to continue receipt of input and comments regarding the plans and overall coordination with the Downtown Master Planning.
- On November 5, 2013, preliminary plans were approval by the Mayor and Commission. Initial construction on water and sewer lines along Clayton Street has been completed. Additional work on stormwater and above grade infrastructure has been put on hold pending further direction by M&C.
- Update: With the passage of TSPLOST 2018 the design efforts for the completion of the project have restarted. Designers have been issued a change order to redo the Project design and to hold additional public input sessions for any new design.