General Information & Timeline
General SPLOST 2011 Information
On August 3, 2010, the Athens-Clarke County Mayor and Commission approved a final SPLOST 2011 project list and project statements for a referendum on Tuesday, November 2, 2010. The list includes 35 projects and totals $195,272,000. If approved, the collection for SPLOST 2011 projects will begin April 1, 2011, and continue for an expected nine years.
During January through March 2010, a 22-member Citizens Advisory Committee reviewed the initial 69 projects submitted for potential inclusion and provided their recommendation to the Mayor and Commission. A full timeline is below.
Georgia law allows local communities to use SPLOST proceeds for capital improvement projects that would otherwise be paid for with general fund and property tax revenues. Governments cannot use SPLOST funds to pay for operating expenses such as personnel salaries or ongoing expenses.
A more extensive timeline is available in the revised agenda item approved by the Mayor and Commission in January 2010.
- September 1, 2009: Mayor and Commission approve a schedule for a SPLOST referendum to take place on November 2, 2010
- October 2009: Mayor and Commission appoint a 22-member Citizens Advisory Committee to review and recommend projects for the SPLOST 2011 program
- December 15, 2009: Project request deadline at 5:00 p.m.; 69 projects totaling over $365 million submitted
- January 5, 2010: Mayor and Commission approved a revised SPLOST 2011 Implementation Schedule and Tasks and approved Program Goals and Criteria
- January - March 2010: Citizen Advisory Committee project reviews (14 meetings through oral and written presentations)
- April 19, 2010: SPLOST 2011 Committee has to submit list of candidate projects to Mayor and Commission no later than May 3, 2010 (completed on April 19)
- May 11, 2010: Mayor and Commission work session on SPLOST 2011 Committee candidate projects
- June 10, 22, and 30, 2010: Mayor and Commission work sessions to review and discuss SPLOST 2011 projects
- August 3, 2010: Mayor and Commission approve final list of SPLOST 2011 projects
- November 2, 2010: SPLOST 2011 Referendum was passed
- April 1, 2011: SPLOST 2011 Collections began
- November 1, 2011: Implementation schedule was approved
- March 30, 2020 SPLOST Collections projected to end